The Dresden Green Diamond
This diamond also known as the “Dresden Green”, is a 41 carat natural green diamond.
The first records of this green diamond date back to 1722 when a London newspaper had an article written about it. Augustus III of Poland later bought it from a Dutch merchant in 1742 at the Leipzig fair.
Then in 1768 jewelers fashioned the green diamond into an extremely valuable hat ornament, which it still sits in to this day as pictured.
The diamond was named after Dresden, the capital of Saxony, Germany where it was displayed for the last two centuries. Today it sits in Dresden Castle.
The Dresden Green Diamond is the largest and finest natural green diamond ever discovered. There is currently no appraisal for this gemstone or realistic estimated value.
The closest similar diamond would be the Aurora Green, a 5.03 carat Fancy Vivid Green diamond that sold for $16.8 million USD.